Buying a home can seem like a complicated process. While we will be with you to help every step of the way, knowing what to expect can make you feel more confident about the journey. This guide takes you through it, and shows you that you’re only 11 steps away from home ownership.
- Mortgage Pre-Approval: Your mortgage lender will qualify you for a price range, and can also give you an estimated monthly payment. Ask us for lender recommendations if you don’t know who to call!
- House Hunting: We can show you any home that’s on the market, even if it’s listed with a different real estate company. Buyer representation is free. The seller always pays all of the real estate commission.
- Make an Offer: When you find the right house, we will sit down together and make an offer in writing. We will walk you through it step-by-step. Once you sign off on the offer, we will present it to the listing agent. You will need an earnest money check when making an offer.
- Negotiate: Contract negotiations can take some time and might go back and forth between buyer and seller several times until an agreement is reached or parties decide to part ways.
- Lock-in Interest Rate: As soon as the contract is signed, call your mortgage lender and lock in your interest rate. Your lender will give you a list of documents needed to start processing your loan. To avoid closing delays, get the documents to your lender as soon as possible.
- Order Inspections: We can provide you with a courtesy list of home inspectors to call. It will be up to you to line up and pay for the home inspection at the time of service. If you are getting a septic inspection, termite inspection, or any other inspections, make sure you get it done within the allotted time frame according to the contract.
- Negotiate Repairs: Let us know which repairs you want to ask the seller to make. We will negotiate on your behalf until an agreement is reached or parties decide to part ways. You have the right to cancel the contract if the home inspection is not to your satisfaction as long as you do it in the allotted time frame per the sales contract.
- Appraisal and Survey: An appraisal is what determines the value of the home. You will order the appraisal in the allotted time frame once the home inspection is complete and home repairs have been negotiated. If requested in the contract, either the listing or selling agent will order a survey after the appraisal is complete.
- Prepare for Move-in: You will need to have your home owners insurance in place before closing. You will also need to call all utility companies and have them turned on in your name starting on the day of closing. Otherwise, they might be turned off when you move.
- Final Walk Through: We will go with you for a final walk though before closing. This will ensure that all agreed upon repairs are completed and the home is in the same condition as it was when you wrote the offer.
- Closing: Sign the documents that make the home officially yours! Closing typically occurs within 30-45 days of signing the contract and can last 30 minute to an hour. You will need to bring a cashier’s check made out to the closing company for your amount due at closing. You will receive the keys at closing!
Give us a call to get started buying your Tuscaloosa home 205-393-1166.