If you’re getting ready to sell your home or just want to improve its overall look, then this video is for you. I’m going to share with you the top seven mistakes to avoid when staging your home. As a real estate agent with nearly 20 years of experience, I’ve seen it all, and I’m here to help you avoid these common mistakes that can cost you time and money. So let’s get started!
- Pictures Too High on the Wall: The first mistake I see people make when staging a home is hanging pictures too high on the wall. The rule of thumb is to think mirror height or a little taller than that. If you don’t have the measurements, just put the picture up at mirror height. This will make sure that your pictures look good and add to the overall design of your home.
- Curtains Too Short: The second mistake is having curtains that are too short. Make sure your curtains go all the way to the floor, giving a feeling of elegance and sophistication. Also, put the curtain rods up as high as possible, and measure to see how long the curtains need to be. You don’t have to get custom drapes, just get them from a store like Home Depot, Target, or Amazon.
- Rugs Too Small: The third mistake is having rugs that are too small. You want your rugs to be large enough to feel like an area rug. For example, your couch should sit on top of the rug with a few feet in front of it. Don’t just use a small rug that only hosts your coffee table.
- Random Accent Pieces: The fourth mistake I see is having random accent pieces on the fireplace. You want to group them together, have different heights, and keep it simple yet elegant. Don’t just space them out randomly.
- Too Much Decor: The fifth mistake is having too much decor. The goal of staging is to help buyers visualize themselves living in the space. If there’s too much decor, it can be overwhelming and take away from the home itself. Keep it simple, and let the home speak for itself.
- Outdated Decor: The sixth mistake is leaving outdated decor items out. If you have old, outdated pillows, rugs, or pictures, take them out completely. It’s better to have no pillow than an outdated one. You can find great deals on updated items at stores like Ross or Home Goods.
- Too Many Rugs: The seventh mistake is having too many rugs. While area rugs can add warmth and texture, too many rugs can bring clutter to your space. Think about removing rugs from your bathroom, hallway, or entryway to create a cleaner, more spacious look.
So those are the seven mistakes to avoid when staging your home. Remember, our goal is to sell your home as quickly as possible for as much money as possible, so we want to give good advice. But you can take it or leave it!