Tuscaloosa is home to many family friendly attractions, great restaurants, and fun shops. If you are staying in town for spring break, there is no shortage of fun to be had! Here are a few of our top picks for in town family activities.
- Art Garage- Book an open play session or attend their Spring Break Mini Cap March 15th & 16th!.
- Ernest and Hadley Booksellers- Grab a book from their excellent children’s book section then head over to Government Plaza for a picnic!
- Children’s Hands on Museum (CHOM)- Children can explore, create and discover every time they visit! Learning through play is what their exhibits are all about, with S.T.E.A.M. fun and exciting experiences waiting for families with newborns through 13 years.
- Bowlero- Enjoy bowling, an arcade, and surprisingly good food!
- Upsurge Trampoline Park- UpSurge Jump Passes can be purchased for 1 or 2 hours of fun!
- Lake Lurleen- Located nine miles northwest of Tuscaloosa and Northport, this 1,625-acre park is a scenic retreat set on the banks of Lake Lurleen and offers plenty of recreation and relaxation. Facilities include a modern campground, activity building, picnic areas, play areas, pavilions, a beach and bathhouse, fishing piers, RV storage, boat rentals and boat-launch areas.
If you want to get out of town but only have a day to spare, we have suggestions for that too! Whether you are looking for an adventure or a relaxing day, there are so many options to explore within driving distance of Tuscaloosa!
Looking for something out of this world, Huntsville, AL is home to the NASA Space and Rocket Center (USSRC). The USSRC is a Smithsonian Affiliate and the Official Visitor Center for NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center. They have one of the largest collections of rockets and space memorabilia on display anywhere in the world. The Huntsville Botanical Gardens, The Secret Art Trail, and Hubert Family Farms, home to over 200,000 tulips in early spring, would also make for a wonderful day in Rocket City!
Cheaha State Park
Next up, Cheaha State Park located in Delta, AL– a 2 hour drive from Tuscaloosa. Alabama has many beautiful and luscious parks, gardens, and other places to explore, but this one we recommend you go check out. Cheaha State Park is home to Mount Cheaha, the highest point in the state. Cheaha offers opportunities to camp, stay in their cabins, and shop in their mountain store. Getting outdoors and exploring will make for a great day trip with those you love! Bring a picnic, your dog, and get outside!
For a shorter drive, we recommend visiting vibrant Birmingham! The Birmingham Museum of Art located downtown has new exhibits throughout the year. Less than five minutes away, The McWane Science Center is a great place to bring the family to learn and play (even adults have a ton of fun with the different exhibits). The zoo and botanical gardens are always a good idea for a family day!
Muscle Shoals, Alabama
Next up, Muscle Shoals, AL! Did you know some of the greatest music and musicians hail from Muscle Shoals? A visit to the Alabama Music Hall of Fame will amaze you when you learn all that came from this part of north Alabama! Did you know, you can tour Helen Keller’s home, Ivey Green, its beautiful grounds and even see the famous water pump? While you’re there, spend some time picnicking and exploring Tuscumbia’s Spring Park. It’s a great place to play and has a man-made waterfall, a carousel, a kiddie coaster, and a miniature train! The Frank Lloyd Rosenbaum House built in 1940 is one of Lloyd’s most renowned works and would be a fun stop for architecture enthusiasts!
Montgomery, Alabama is only two hours away and provides an excellent opportunity to learn more about our state history! We strongly recommend the Rosa Parks Museum where you will learn about the 1955 Montgomery bus boycott and civil rights movement. The Freedom Riders Museum is another great option. The Montgomery Zoo, National Memorial for Peace and Justice, The Alabama State Capitol, and The Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald Museum are a few of our favorite places to visit!
We hope you have an awesome spring break, and if you make it to any of these destinations, tag us @thegraygroupatkwtuscaloosa in your pics! We would love to see them!